With Firefox profiles, you can use multiple Firefox environments on your Windows PC. For example, you can separate your secure email communication with Mailvelope from other add-ons.
In this help article you will learn how to open and set up the Firefox profile manager in Windows.
Important: Also note the additional security recommendations at the end of this article.
How to start the Firefox profile manager in Windows
Using the Firefox profile manager you can create new profiles, select a profile to start with or deactivate the profile manager at a later time.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard or click the Start symbol
firefox.exe -pand confirm with the Enter key
You have now opened the Firefox program manager.
How to create a Posteo profile in Firefox
In the following steps you will learn how to create a separate Posteo profile and switch between your existing profile and Posteo.
- In the Firefox profile manager, click Create profile…
- Click Next
- Enter a new name for the profile, such as Posteo, for example
- Complete the setup by clicking Finish
How to open a profile in the profile manager
- By clicking, select a profile such as Posteo
- Remove the tick next to "Use the selected profile without asking at startup".
- Click Start Firefox
From now on, the profile manager will open automatically each time you start Firefox. You can then decide which profile you would like to use.
How to switch between Firefox profiles
If you would like to switch from one profile to another, simply close Firefox and restart it. You can then select a different profile.
Additional security recommendations for the use of Mailvelope in Firefox
Under specific circumstances, Firefox’s security architecture allows attackers to access a user’s private keys via compromised add-ons. Please also read our blog post from the 4th of May, 2017. Using an independent Firefox profile for Mailvelope only minimises the risk if you also adhere to the following advice:
- Do not install any additional add-ons in the newly-created browser profile
- Use the Firefox profile exclusively for encrypted Mailvelope communication: Access your email provider’s webmail interface only and never visit other websites
- In addition, choose a password for your PGP key that is as secure as possible
- Be careful not to accidentally install any add-ons via phishing, via which you could be attacked
Due to the problems with the Firefox architecture, we additionally recommend:
- Restrict the use of add-ons in the Firefox browser to a minimum, until Mozilla has updated the architecture
- You can further protect yourself from potential attackers by setting up an additional user on your operating system for end-to-end encrypted communication