With the Posteo web app, you can easily use Posteo on your smartphone, tablet or PC. Once installed, you will find the Posteo icon on your home screen or, for example, in the Windows taskbar. If desired, your login information can also be automatically filled in.
Special note: With auto dark mode, Posteo will always use the dark mode settings of your device upon request.
In this help article, you will learn how to install the Posteo web app on your device.
Select the device on which you would like to install the Posteo web app:
- iPhone & iPad
- Android smartphone & tablet
- Windows PC
- How to activate auto dark mode
- Frequently asked questions
How to install the Posteo web app on an iPhone or iPad
First, on your iPhone or iPad, open the Safari browser. Afterwards, follow these steps:
- Open posteo.de.
- Tap on the share button.
- Select Add to Home Screen.
- Tap onAdd.
That's it! The Posteo web app can now be found on your home screen. Tap on the Posteo logo to log in.
Tip: If you save your username and your password on your iOS device, your iPhone or iPad will automatically fill this out for you. You can also have the one-time code for two-factor authentication be entered automatically.
Tip: How to have your one-time passwords automatically entered when logging in
- Open your Posteo account settings and display your secret key there.
- Open iOS Settings.
- Tap on Passwords.
- Enter your iOS Passcode or unlock the feature using TouchID or FaceID.
- Search for Posteo and tap on the entry for your Posteo account.
Tip: You can identify this by the Posteo icon.
- Select Set Up Verification Code... .
- Enter your secret key.
You can copy the 16-character-long code from Posteo webmail or scan the QR code if you log in to your account with a different device.
That's it! You have set up two-factor authentication on your iOS device. When logging in via the web app, you can now have the one-time code filled in automatically:
- To do so, tap on the first textbox for entering one-time passwords and finally on Verification code für posteo.de.
Afterwards, you will automatically be forwarded to your mailbox.
How to install the Posteo web app on your Android device
You can install the web app on your Android device with various browsers. In the following steps, you will learn how to install the Posteo web app with Firefox for Android. You can read here about how to install the web app with other browsers.
- Open posteo.de in Firefox on your Android device.
- Tap in the bottom-right on the menu dots in Firefox.
- Tap Install.
- Tap Add Automatically.
That's it! You can now find the Posteo web app via the green Posteo logo on your home screen.Tap on the logo to log in.
Tip: If you save your login credentials in Firefox, Firefox will automatically fill in the login credentials for you.
How to have your login credentials be entered in automatically in Firefox
- Open the Posteo web app.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Click on Login now.
Firefox now offers to save the login credentials.
- Click on Save.
That's it! When logging in next time, Firefox will automatically enter your login credentials as soon as you click on login:
How to install the Posteo web app on your Windows PC
On your Windows PC with Windows 10 or Windows 11, you can install the Posteo web app with help from the Microsoft Edge browser. Edge is installed by default in Windows 10 und 11. First open Edge and follow these steps:
- Open posteo.de.
- In Edge, click on the three menu dots in the upper-right.
- Select Apps.
- Click on Install Posteo.
- Give the app a name like Posteo and click on Install.
The app is now installed. As a final step, you can decide where the app should be linked:
- Select Pin to taskbar to link the app in the Windows taskbar.
- Finally, click on Allow.
That's it! From now on, you can open the Posteo web app via the Posteo icon on the taskbar.
Tip: If you save your username and your password in Edge, your browser will automatically fill in these details for you. Please note the security notice below.
How to have your login details entered in automatically
- Open the Posteo web app.
- Enter your login details.
- Click on Log in.
Microsoft Edge will now offer to save the login details.
- Click on Got it.
That's it! When logging in next time, Edge will automatically enter the login details.
How to activate auto dark mode
With auto dark mode, Posteo always adjusts to the dark mode settings of your device. To activate auto dark mode, follow these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Open the Preferences tab.
- Click on User Interface.
- Activate the option Auto Dark Mode.
That's it! Posteo will now automatically adjust based on the settings activated on your device. On the computer (left) dark mode is not activated. On the smartphone it is:
On most devices, you can then switch between a light and dark mode at any time with just one touch - or, for example, even arrange for an automatic mode change at sunrise and sunset.
Instructions for different devices can be found on the help pages of the manufacturers:
- iPhone, iPad: Activate dark mode on iOS and iPadOS
- macOS: Activate dark mode on your Mac
- Android: Activate dark mode on an Android Device
- Windows 10: Activate dark mode on a Windows PC
Please make sure to use a secure lock code or a secure login password for your device if you save your login details on the device.
- Always select a "unique" password for your email account that is exclusively used for your email account.
- If necessary, deactivate all features that synchronise your passwords with a cloud service so that your login details are only saved on the device.
For optimal security, activate two-factor authentication and block access from external programs with additional email account protection for webmail users. This way, you can only access the account using the website or web app.
Frequently asked questions
Why can't I find the Posteo app in the App Store?
We have decided to not distribute the Posteo app on app stores but rather as a web app for all devices. The installation is nevertheless very simple and afterwards the Posteo logo appears as the app icon on your device - just like with other apps you are familiar with.
Updates are not necessary as the Posteo web app is automatically kept up-to-date by us.
How can I tell if I have already opened an email when using the web app on a smartphone or tablet?
How do I deleted an unread email using the web app on a smartphone?
Which display options are available when using a tablet?
Do I need to update a web app?
No. Web apps are automatically up-to-date.