With the Posteo migration service, you can transfer up to three external email accounts across to Posteo. From selected email providers you can in addition transfer your address book (e.g. Gmail, GMX, web.de, AOL, iCloud, Yahoo or outlook.com) and calendar (e.g. Gmail, GMX, web.de, AOL or iCloud) to Posteo.
With the Posteo migration service, you can decide whether to copy the entire contents of your previous email account or selected folders only.
The Posteo migration service copies the data directly from your previous account. Once migration is complete, you can delete the emails from your previous email account.
The Posteo migration service allows you to transfer large amounts of data in a small time, all by yourself. For the transfer, Posteo creates an encrypted connection to your previous provider without accessing your internet connection. At no point are your emails transferred via a third party.
This help article explains how to use the Posteo migration service and what to take note of.
Transferring emails to Posteo
First, log in at posteo.de, and then proceed as follows:
- Click Settings
- Click My account
- Click Posteo migration service
- Enter your current Posteo password
- Click Continue to the Posteo migration service
- Enter the email address and password (if necessary) for your previous email account
- The migration service supports all providers that allow access via IMAP
- Click Allow access to Gmail or Proceed to folder selection
- The migration service then shows you all the folders found in your previous account
- Click each of the folders you would like to copy
- When you click a folder, the migration service automatically calculates how much storage space the folder will occupy
- The inbox is usually called “INBOX”
- Once you have selected the folders, click Copy selected folders to Posteo
The Posteo migration service will now copy all emails in the selected Folders to your Posteo account. A progress bar shows you when migration is complete. During the migration, you can continue to use your account as usual. After a few minutes, simply check in your account settings (step 1 to 3) whether the migration is complete.
Tip: In addition to the Posteo migration service you can also activate our email collector. This collects newly-arriving emails from your previous account, transferring them to your Posteo account every 10 minutes. You can find out how to activate the email collector in our help article How do I use the email collector?
Copying the address book
If the migration service can also import your address book, a button will appear below the folder summary titled Address book. To import the address book, proceed as follows:
- Click Address book
- Click Copy address book to Posteo
Copying the calendar
If the migration of calendars is available for your provider, a Calendar button will appear below the address book button. To import the calendar, proceed as follows:
- Click Calendar
- Select all calendars, you wish to import
- Choose a target calendar like the default calendar (Standardkalender).
The migration service merges all selected calendars before importing them into the target calendar. See tips to import multiple calendars below.
- Click Copy selected calendars to Posteo
Tip: How to import multiple calendars
If you do not wish to merge your calendars before importing, you can set up a new calendar for each migration and import one calendar at a time using multiple migrations. If you require additional migrations, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening transferred folders
The Posteo migration service saves your email folders in a so-called structure folder. The name of the folder consists of the word "Migration", an underscore, and the date of the migration. This folder itself contains no emails. To open the transferred emails, proceed as follows:
- Click the arrow above the folder symbol to display the folders in the migration archive
- Click the desired folder to show the emails
Tip: You can also move the folders to another location. You can find out how to do this in our help article How do I move a folder?
If the selected folders exceed your storage space, you will first need to increase your storage space if you wish to transfer all folders. Alternatively, you could deselect some folders and not transfer them to Posteo. You can find out how to increase your storage space at How can I increase my account’s storage space and what does it cost?
Characteristics of Gmail
When importing from Gmail, you need to be aware of a couple of characteristics of Gmail, as Google’s service does not comply with the email standard in some specific respects.
- The “All Mail” folder actually contains all messages, i.e. as well as emails in the inbox and archive, those you have moved into folders. If you select the “All Mail” folder, you are copying emails located in folders twice.
- If you have used Gmail’s archive feature, archived emails can not be selected and transferred on their own. These are found in the “All Mail” folder.
- If you have been using an email program, it’s possible that deleted emails will also be found in the “All Mail” folder. Google explains why this is here.