This help article explains how to set up your Posteo email account as an IMAP account in Mail for Mac OS X.
After setup, Apple “Mail” synchronises your emails with the Posteo webmail interface. When you read an email on the Mac, it will also be marked as “read” in the webmail interface or on another device such as your iPhone. With Apple “Mail”, you can also access your email archive offline.
These instructions are for the current version (10.11 El Capitan) of Mac OS X. If you are not yet using this version, please refer to our visual instructions for older versions of OS X found further below.
Setting up Posteo in Apple Mail
If you have not added an iCloud account in your Mac’s setup, please skip directly to step 5 of these instructions. Otherwise, proceed as follows:
- In the Apple Mail menu, click Mail
- Open the Settings
- Open the Accounts tab
- Click the plus symbol (at the bottom left)
Next, follow the instructions shown in the dialogue box:
- Select Other email account…
- Click Continue
- Enter your name, your Posteo email address and your Posteo password
- Click Sign in
- In the Username field, enter your Posteo email address
- Under Account type, leave the setting as IMAP
- For both the Incoming mail server and Outgoing mail server, enter posteo.de
- Confirm your entries by clicking Sign in
- If you would also like to synchronise your notes with Posteo, place a tick next to the Apple app “Notes”
- Complete the setup by clicking Finished
Using Posteo email aliases in Apple Mail
An email alias is an additional receiving address for your Posteo account and does not have its own password. You can set up the alias address as a sender in Apple Mail by adding the alias to your account. We explain how to set up such a sender identity in Apple Mail here.
Instructions for old versions of OS X
Visual instructions for Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite
Visual instructions for Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks
Visual instructions for Mac OS 10.6 (displayed), 10.7 and 10.8
Finishing steps for Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.8
For 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 you will need to make the following adjustments. In Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and more recent versions, the finishing steps are not necessary.
- So that Mail moves sent and deleted emails to the correct Posteo folders, please select one after the other the folders "Sent" and "Trash" and from the "Account" menu, select "Use this account for" "sent emails" likewise for "Trash"
- If you do not want your trash to be automatically emptied by Mail, go back into the Mail settings, click "Account behaviour" for the Posteo account and change the setting for "Permanently delete deleted emails" auf "nie" (at the very bottom).