Our servers and offices run 100% on green energy from Greenpeace Energy, which comes from hydro stations and wind turbines in Austria and Germany. Greenpeace Energy makes no compromises in terms of its supply concept and development of new facilities:
- No greenwashing: Greenpeace Energy does not label power from coal or nuclear sources as green energy and declines to deal in certificate trading such as RECS.
- Transparency: Greenpeace Energy openly displays its supply sources for its customers to see.
- Promoting new facilities: Within five years at the latest, new customers are supplied with 100% power from facilities that are less than five years old.
- Finance: Posteo does business sustainably. The company is free of debts and loans. There are no investors. Posteo has only one source of finance – the fees paid by its users. This allows us to work independently and with privacy orientation. We can completely refuse to use tracking, for example, because being financed by user contributions means we do not require any revenue from advertising.
- Company account: We are set up sustainably – also in terms of money. Posteo users’ credit is held in our account with the socially-ecological GLS Bank. GLS Bank uses this money solely to finance ecological and socially meaningful projects.
- Savings: Our savings are deposited at the Umweltbank (Germany’s green/environmental bank). The bank uses this money to promote environmental projects, in particular in the fields of renewable energy, energy efficiency, environmentally-friendly production, the circular economy, agriculture and recycling.
- Donations: We regularly donate to NGOs that are active with environmental protection. If a Posteo user closes their account, they can ask us to donate their remaining credit to an NGO.
- Social responsibility as an employer: Posteo engages its employees with permanent contracts. To make work and family more compatible, we allow flexible work hours and various part time options.
- Free, organic-vegetarian lunch: Posteo offers all employees a daily, organic-vegetarian lunch. The costs for this (including our own chef) are completely covered by the company.
- Additional holidays for train trips: Posteo offers all employees additional holidays for using climate-friendly train trips instead of flying during private holiday trips.
- Free bicycle repair: Posteo employees can have their bike repaired by a mechanic free of charge.
- Recycled paper: We use 100% recycled paper in all areas of the business.
- Computer-controlled heating: This optimises our energy use, modifying the temperature according to the circumstances (e.g. night, weekend, open window).
- Green energy: Our office is supplied with 100% green energy from Greenpeace Energy.
- Energy-efficient hardware: We use hardware that is energy-efficient and low in pollutants.
- Purchase of new equipment and sustainability criteria: With new purchases we concentrate not only on low prices but also the sustainability of the respective products.
- Furniture: Our offices are fitted out with desks made from FSC-certified wood, as well as office furniture made from recycled materials.
- No flights: To protect the environment, Posteo does not use flights whatsoever for its business.
- Energy-efficient hardware: We have set up energy-efficient hardware both in the office and for the servers.
- Rejecting spam: With Posteo, there is no spam folder. Emails identified as spam will not be accepted by our server. Through this rejection of spam messages we can preserve storage space for our users and save resources.
- Greylisting: So-called greylisting keeps most spam messages away from our servers and thereby greatly reduces energy use.
- Migration service: Our migration service makes a complete transition to Posteo easier and allows termination of old accounts.
- Efficient programming: Preventing energy from being wasted, through optimised design of relevant processes.
- Appropriate-sized servers: Our systems are sized to cope with demand and can grow in a flexible manner. This saves resources: Overly large server spaces are often enormous power-guzzlers.
- No finance from advertising: Provision of services is calculated sustainably and supported by user contributions.
- Data efficiency by renouncing advertising: We have no interest in selling our users' personal information to the advertising industry.
- No reliance on advertisers: The existence of many services on the internet is reliant upon the money and goodwill of advertisers. We are ad-free, and thereby autonomous.